Join LDS Preppers!
Survival Corner Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

1. What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

Please share with us what you have done to prepare today or within the last few days.

Or if you've procrastinated, what WILL you be doing in the next few days?

[I]-Darin-

My Preparedness Store: www.SurvivalCorner.com
    My Blog: www.AZPrepper.com
    My Rabbitry: www.AZRabbits.com

2. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Blog Entries

Well, my sweet husband finally got involved with year's supply this last week and revamped the entire set up for our supplies for easier use and rotation. Made an effort to use some of that old wheat...and you know what? It was still good! Nice to open wheat and not have to throw it away. Nice to open wheat and know what to do with it that my kids and husband would eat too. It's been a good week so far!
    Professional Chef and Instructor: http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com

3. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Blog Entries

Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

I attended a Preparedness Fair today, went to classes, and purchased my own type of a "port-a-potty". My immediate plans are to restock my freezer with beef, port, and poultry.

4. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

Quote Originally Posted by Carinslp View Post
    I attended a Preparedness Fair today, went to classes, and purchased my own type of a "port-a-potty".
    Were they like these GottaGo Emergency Toilets? If so, these are great to have for sure. Most people don't think about this basic need that will always be there, emergency or not.
    [I]-Darin-

My Preparedness Store: www.SurvivalCorner.com
    My Blog: www.AZPrepper.com
    My Rabbitry: www.AZRabbits.com

5. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

Purchased extra food, and 2 shelving units. Started to get existing food supplies organized after 2 moves. Everything pretty much jumbled up and disorganized, but getting better!

6. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

Dehydrating food DAILY and making my own Mountain House meals this week! I love them. I am also mylar bagging soup mixes like crazy!!! Gotta have soup in case of emergencies and it is easy to be generous with those if giving charity.

I try to work on SOMETHING daily. PHEW...sooooooo much to do and sooooo little time. Rolling up my sleeves to dig back in!
    "If the people around you don't believe in you, if they don't encourage you, then you need to find some people who do." --John Maxwell

7. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

im just starting out with preparing. ive had the idea because of low finances for several years to just go and purchase extra canned goods at the store when we go shopping, 3-9 extra each trip, as money allows.
    we did pretty good with that, but we ended up stopping because we dont have the room anymore in the garage to store everything in small quantities,
    recently i got signed up with another food storage site (im on several) and decided id go through ther list of stuff, and write as much as i could down, figuring out a budget that would work with what they provided, and i found out i can order roughly (to begin with) 14 cans (#10 size) a month and be under 50 dollars , of various things they offer. its a start and im going to order this weened. (todays PAYDAY!)

8. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

Ordered another lantern, globes, burner. Have one already, but wanted another one of the same make & model. Worked out great during our last ice storm. Eleven days w/o electricity, phewwww! That got old quick!

9. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Blog Entries

Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

I came upon this tip very innocently. I had made some taco soup,
    and didn't eat it all, so dehydrated it.
    My husband was out of town for a week, and cooking was at a
    minimum. I found that the dehydrated taco soup was wonderful
    as a snack...with a glass of water. I'm going to make 'this snack'
    a regular in mny food storage.
    onthebus

10. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

Built some more shelves for the basement. Too tall! Tomorrow we'll move the shelves back to the shop. It has 10' walls and I'll have room to spare! LOL (Might as well laugh, doesn't help to cry!)

11. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

Drove to town yesterday and picked up 650 lbs. of home grown, grass raised, grass finished beef. That came out to only 58% of hoof weight, but that's ok with us. To reach a goal of 60% you almost have to finish on grain, which I don't like to do. I believe the beef is healthier if raised & finished on a natural diet (grass.) The bill was $290 and that works out to about 45 cents per pound for some healthy, tender steaks, roasts, hamburger, etc. The whole 650 lbs fit nicely into a 15 cu. ft. freezer. That will last our family for about a year, until we take another steer to meet his fate next year! Life is good!

12. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

Well, I've been busy lately. I have 4 families in the area. Inlaws, two sisters in law and their families, and myslef and my wife. So, there are 4 of us within a 20 mile radius. We've decided to meet once or twice a month about getting our family disaster/emergency plans in place. Everyone had their own job. One is looking into ham radio classes for us all to take, another looking into evacuation areas if needed, and I was selected to start a prep list.

It's been a ton of fun. I sent list of bug out bag/evac bag items to have in case of immediate danger and the need to leave home. Just this past week I formulated a comprehensive list of emergency preparedness/supply/food storage stuff. It's in excel spreadsheet form. I took my lists from FEMA and Red Cross mainly, and one international relief agency I found that was quite good. Anyway, from food storage to supplies and tools, I filled out exactly what we had on hand. Each family is now in the process of inputing exactly what they have. Once we're done, we'll know where we are strong, and where we are weak as a family. Given our close proximity, we would band together in a longer or prolonged disaster and sharing would be important. This way we'll know who has what and also how to help each other.

Beyond that, we just purchased our first 55 gallon water drum with extraction hose. I got some basic 27 mile range motorola two way radios, we rotated our food storage and tossed a few items that were expired. I've upped my gasoline storage now to 23 gallons, I now have 4 mobile propane tanks on hand. It's really been fun. Still lots left to do and learn.

For the near future I'll be taking a ham radio course and getting licensed for that. And I'll be filling that 55 gallon water drum!

13. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

My wife and I bought some 30 mile range 2 way radios, Recon, and they are junk. Motorola as well. We were driving an RV and a truck, the truck in chase rarely more than 1/2 mile behind. No reception. It may have been because we were in vehicles, but that's the main thing we wanted them for. We were in the open (in Kansas for Pete's sake), and we simply had terrible reception. We wound up using cell phones and frequent breaks at every rest stop.

14. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

Last night we picked up 35 lbs of pasta, 50 lbs of beans and a few cans of gatorade mix. We also added 55 gal. of water to the stores. I love watching that room fill up!

15. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

Finally got the new 6'9" fence around the new garden and the gate built. Hope to start planting soon now that we can keep the deer out (maybe!) Have starter plants all over the kitchen counters that are looking for a home. LOL

16. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

Picked up 50 lbs of dry refried beans 25 lbs each of oats and pasta from the dry pack cannery. 25 lbs of black beans ,10 lbs of anastazi beans(gonna try them out) and 25lbs of rice from honeyville grain. 50lbs each of sugar and flour from local grocery store. All this for a family canning activity at our wards onsite facility. Will be planting 40-50 acres of wheat this week for possible storage use after harvest. Also have been updating my "prepper" packets that go out to newly interested family and quorum members.

17. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

I networked with a local farmer and was able to purchase boneless skinless chicken for .99 cents a pound. I canned 41 quarts! Loved canned chicken, it is perfect for casseroles and soups, instant and healthy, plus no reliance on electricity to keep it preserved. Click image for larger version

Name:	canned chicken.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	587.7 KB
ID:	643
    Uphold The Right!

18. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

Picked up some more medical Supplies and half a dozen Rat Packs (British MREs)

WW
    Every day I live with fear,,,,, sometimes she lets me out to play

19. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

I have been slowly building up my food storage, also I've been trying to learn how to use foods/ ingredients that I'm not as familiar with such as wheat. Currently unemployed so on a super strict budget.

20. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

by more potatoe pearls

21. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

What have we done to prepare? A Berkey water filter should arrive anyday now in the mail. Fresh asparagus has been .89 cents/lb at the store, so I canned some up. YUMMY! Thanked God for the blessings of the day.

22. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

Joined LDS Preppers
    Purchased and started reading the following books
    "The Prepper's Pocket Guide - 101 Easy things you can do to ready your home for a disaster" by Bernie Car
    - very good for a beginner like me...step by step short and simple, covers a whole gamet of stuff
    "When Technology Fails" by Matt Stein
    - huge book i haven't put a dent in but i feel good knowing i have it it covers sooo much
    started making a list of stuff to purchase and things to do

23. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

I have been doing indepth inventory on my food storage. I am a little short of a years worth. I am new at the preparedness however. About 2 months ago we had a preparedness fair at church for the community and it hit home hard. I was not prepared. I started with my house. I went through everything and was able to almost completely put together our 73 hour kits for 4. I had to buy a few inexpensive items but now I am working on getting a weather radio and next month will be my first water barrel purchase from EE. I had to save because I am on a fixed income. Now I want to find a way to build me shelving units for my #10 cans. I love the ones that Thrive sells but can't afford that so I will try to build. Everytime i go to the store i get something...a roll of tape, a can of food, something extra for our peace of mind.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Ellen For This Useful Post:

ArizombieGirl (09-08-2012)

25. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

This week I have saved several cans from the canned chicken to use for fire starters along with my flint strike..I am taking inventory and will fix whatever I am short of this month and into next month if need be....I have stacks and boxes not shelves and that is fine with me. I may shelve some of it later on but i am only focused on the food this month. We are going to take a trip to all the thrift stores here and find extra basic clothing -and wash and pack it away.
    That is the game plan I have for this month!!!!

A woman is like a tea bag...you never know how strong SHE is till SHE gets in hot water. Eleanor Roosevelt (emphasis and change - ME)

“When you cease to make a contribution, you begin to die.”
    ― Eleanor Roosevelt

26. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

As I shopped today I had coupons for $1.50 off three spam and $2.00 off 1 right guard deodorant and some others. I didn't used to like coupons that called for you to buy two of something but I have changed my outlook. I only buy what I use and this way I get one to use and one to store. I average about 5-6 extra buy per store visit and I go once a week.

27. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

I canned 15 quarts of homemade balogna, and another 11 for a friend from church. turned out great, tastes like a cross between balogna and spam...

28. Re: What Have You Done To Prepare Today?

this week bought a ammo can of 223 and one of 9mm.....need to get more free dried food made sure I know where my extra glasses are..
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

PROUD OATH KEEPER

+ Reply to Thread