Join LDS Preppers!
Survival Corner Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should a family have a CB radio and If so what Kind ??

1. Should a family have a CB radio and If so what Kind ??

Should a family have a CB radio and If so what Kind ?? There are some many out there!
    Bev

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bevdalton For This Useful Post:

Kelly Alwood (12-27-2011)

3. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Blog Entries

Re: Should a family have a CB radio and If so what Kind ??

A CB radio could be quite useful. The Pro's are: They are cheep. Easy to find. Most all of them have nearly the same as far as abilities. A CB radio is easy to use. They require no license. They are an HF radio, on the 11 Meter band. The radio is capable of communicating very long distances the same as any other HF radio. Easily talk to the entire country. As with all other HF radios, they are limited in the power output they are allowed to put out. The CB or (Citizen Band) radios are limited to 5 Watts of power, because they require no license. That is the same output as most handheld radios. Adding an amplifier to a CB is illegal, until a time of emergency. The CB operates on 27MHZ. Because they require no license, many people have them. Which means, there will always be someone listening when you call for help on it. They are very low cost, when compared to all other mobile or base station HF radios.
    The Cons: Because they are low powered, the range is very limited. This can be extended by using a better antenna, and adding an amplifier in times of emergencies. The CB radio is limited to 40 channels. Meaning, when something bad happens, Everyone in the county is using the same 40 channels. Because they require no license, most people dont ever learn how to work them efficiently as Ham radio operators.
    I hope this help to answer your questions. If you have more, please feel free to ask, as I am sure many others are wondering the same things.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelly Alwood For This Useful Post:

fuzzy (12-29-2011), GregE (02-15-2012)

5. Re: Should a family have a CB radio and If so what Kind ??

Perhaps you haven't thought of this -- not only good guys may be equipped with CB radios in an emergency (or at any other time). One of the reasons that law enforcement officers use radio codes is to prevent other people from understanding their transmission. Understand? Say "10-4."

The point is -- a radio frequency or "CB channel" is like an old-time party line on a telephone. Anybody can listen in.

It's just possible that in an emergency, if you call for help, both helpers and vultures may respond.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DisasterGuy For This Useful Post:

Kelly Alwood (07-09-2012)

7. Re: Should a family have a CB radio and If so what Kind ??

I recently bought a CB radio online to be able to communicate and get local feedback and news in preparation for the worst case scenario type of disaster. I don't think that it is necessary in the majority of disaster that are likely to happen, but I thought it would be worth prepping for. In the event of a very long term disaster where the electricity is down, cell phones will stop working after the backup generators and batteries run out.

If your buying new; the more money you spend on one the better radio you will get. I suggest that you decide on a price and then read reviews on CB radios that are in your price range.

8. Re: Should a family have a CB radio and If so what Kind ??

I buy my Cb's at garage sales for 5-10 dollars. They all have a similar output in watts. Get one with SSB Single side band if you can. They can actually get more distance on the side band than on the regular channel, Antennas are where you need to spend the money. Use commercial grade antenna on your car and make sure it is tuned/matched to the radio. I like them for travel with another vehicle and short distance communications. I have a ham tech license which is also not that hard to get. You do not need to know code anymore and can get a book that will let you pass the test.

9. Re: Should a family have a CB radio and If so what Kind ??

For about $20 bucks (to pay for the book) and pretty much free on the class itself (if you go through one of the CERT organizations) you can take a class to get your HAM license.
    The actual HAM test is only $14 and as already mentioned, you are no longer required to learn Morse code.
    This is really generalizing now, but as a long time truck driver, you'll be lucky to get 5 or 6 miles on the CB (if running it legally).
    The HAM will get you probably closer to 40 miles with a straight 2 meter set-up and a good antenna.
    Keep in mind, that depending on where you live, HOAs are well known for interferring with your ability to put up a good antenna.
    Also with the HAM you can hit any number of relay towers and literally talk all over the place.
    I live in Chandler, AZ and standing in my drive-way with a 5 watt hand held, commonly talk with folks in Flagstaff, Tucson, etc. and I'm still very new to this and don't really know what I'm doing.
    You can even send your HAM signal through the internet, and have it go out of towers in other countries... or even talk to the Space Station.
    If you take the time to get your HAM lic. the instructors in whatever class you take, will give out great info on radio brands, antennas, prices, and all kinds of other cool stuff you can do with HAM radios...
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

10. Re: Should a family have a CB radio and If so what Kind ??

Thanks for your insights Kelly. Now I want to try CB radio just for a change.

11. Re: Should a family have a CB radio and If so what Kind ??

Quote Originally Posted by virgiea68 View Post
    Thanks for your insights Kelly. Now I want to try CB radio just for a change.
    however there is one other thing to consider.....EMP I would make sure that the C.B was if possible bve in a faradayc cage. some say a microwave oven would work...could get one at D.I or maybe goodwill.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

PROUD OATH KEEPER

12. Re: Should a family have a CB radio and If so what Kind ??

13. Re: Should a family have a CB radio and If so what Kind ??

A CB is not a bad idea more folks have them than HAM's yes range is limited however , lets look at the reasons you would have a CB.
    Most would have one to find out traffic conditions in say a bugout situation from truck drivers etc. Locally in a moderate sized community it can be used just fine for information dissemination as well as gathering.

If i were you the model I would get is the Walkie talkie COBRA 38 WXST version.

Why? It has 40 channel CB and NOAA Weather radio, it can be set to scan all 40 CB channels so you won't have to manually switch them and monitor each seperately, Can be used with ear phones to avoid detection by it squaking,you can put rechargeable batteries in it without using a seperate battery charger, and most importantly...IF YOU HAVE TO ABANDON YOUR VEHICLE AND SET OUT ON FOOT YOU DON'T LOSE YOUR RADIO TOO. Just hook it on your belt or backpack and walk away. This was my choice as professional truckdriver believe it or not for all the above reasons.

+ Reply to Thread