Join LDS Preppers!
Survival Corner Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Antibiotics (inexpensive)

1. Antibiotics (inexpensive)

For those of us who are always looking for alternatives in buying and storing antibiotics, this may be an inexpensive solution.

Nonprescription veterinary antibiotics are produced in the same facilities as the human versions. But they are packaged and sold differently (including extreme differences in prices). You can get them from veterinary online stores such as: http://www.upco.com/

In a US military study, they took a storage facility full of antibiotics (stored in un-refrigerated, 115 degree heat in Iraq) which were 5 years past the expiration date. Those antibiotics, with the exception of two* (Tetracycline & Doxycycline), were still 95% effective. *Tetracycline and Doxycycline actually became toxic after expiration date, so that should always be discarded when expired.

If you purchase these antibiotics from these online veterinary stores, visit online medical/prescription info sites such as: http://www.medicinenet.com/ to print out and understand treatment, dosages, side effects, etc. Dosages differ between animals and humans.

We made labels with the information from medicinenet.com and taped them on the antibiotics bottles we ordered from upco.com so that we had the information with the medicine (with treatments, dosages, side effects, etc).

Some of the medicines are (along with their medical descriptions):

The exact address to order these from upco.com is: http://www.upco.com/antibiotics-clic...in-doxycycline

**Note: I am not a doctor. This is not medical advice. Use this information at your own risk. Discuss this information with your doctor first, etc. etc. etc.
    [I]-Darin-

My Preparedness Store: www.SurvivalCorner.com
    My Blog: www.AZPrepper.com
    My Rabbitry: www.AZRabbits.com

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AZ Prepper For This Useful Post:

fuzzy (03-16-2011), Katrina1001 (03-04-2010), Kelly Alwood (03-15-2011), Reginmund (05-16-2010), Rizzo (02-18-2010), roberts (02-11-2010)

3. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Blog Entries

another great resource for these are tractor supply, rural king, and coop's...
    the only difference is the dosage! this is very important as too much of some antibiotics with cause liver damage...so i would recommend making new labels for your bottles with human dosages on there...the concentration of the antibiotics is differnt in animal (vet) antibiotics...so make sure you read the label concentration on the bottle, and then carefully convert it to human dosages...

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009

Doxycycline should also be discarded at the expiration date.
    Kenneth
    If you fail to prepare . . . you prepare to fail !
    . . . la caridad es el amor puro de Cristo, . . .

5. Quote Originally Posted by Moravec View Post
    Doxycycline should also be discarded at the expiration date.
    Thanks! I'll edit the post to show that.
    [I]-Darin-

My Preparedness Store: www.SurvivalCorner.com
    My Blog: www.AZPrepper.com
    My Rabbitry: www.AZRabbits.com

6. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Blog Entries

Re: Antibiotics (inexpensive)

Antibiotics are such a critcal part of your storage program. Two weeks ago my partner got bit by his own cat at home. Within two days, he had a bad infection. He went to the hospital, and they operated immediately. The wounds were cleaned and he was sent home with a strict schedule of antibiotic dosing. The hospital put in an IV catheter for him to self administer his own antibiotics daily. It was at this point that he realized the importance of having a supply of propper intibiotics. He would have died without them. If this would have happened at a time when no medical care was available (like the hurricanes or snowstorms in KY), he would have died. From a bite from a house cat.
    Of course, the other and inseperable part of this is knowing how to administer them, and have the supplies to do it.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2010

So what would be recommended for people who are allergic to 'cillins'?

8. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Blog Entries

I was just in the "Middle East". I became ill from a local bug that I had not previously been exposed to. Antibiotics would have cured it rather quickly, however I had given out my personal meds to locals and had none. I suffered through a few weeks of sickness because I had no antibiotics. It was a long, hard trip until I finally reached a different country and got a prescription. Dont forget to procure meds. It will allow you to continue performing your duties, and may even save your life. Plan for this.

9. Re: Antibiotics (inexpensive)

Here is a novel approach...ask your family physician for a prescription for a wide spread antibiotic such as Cipro...explain your concern and more than likely they will give you a prescription, which around Ohio you can get filled for FREE....talk about inexpensive...I have both some for myself and my wife...if you are paranoid, tell your doctor that you metal detect and sometime you get cut digging your prize, and that you travel alot too...of course everyone should be up to date on your TETNUS SHots too...but honestly just talk to your doctor....ask the worse they can do is say no!! Then go get animal biotics.

+ Reply to Thread