Join LDS Preppers!
Survival Corner Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chef Stephanie Petersen's 52 jar Method for convenience meals (with 5 new meals!)

1. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Blog Entries

Chef Stephanie Petersen's 52 jar Method for convenience meals (with 5 new meals!)

Chef Stephanie Petersen's 52 Method for Convenience Dinners in a Jar
    Using Food Storage
    Recipes and Instructions

Recently someone asked me to write down a few of my recipes for long term storage and
    what I do. I have a method that I like to use that isn't new, but it's was a little bit exciting
    when I heard it. I planned 7 meals, one for each night of the week and then figured
    getting 52 jars of each meal in my food storage to have on hand. In this way I would
    easily be able to have a year's supply of food that my family would eat should I need it.
    I've heard it done with jars of spaghetti sauce and pounds of noodle in a similar fashion.
    It's a good simple way to calculate a family's needs. It's also a good way to get back to the
    basics of what a normal family will eat. Without getting into a lot of canning details and
    crazy stuff here, I do want to say that I don't want to have to worry about canning meat
    or rotating cans of beans and vegetables. I've found that buying freeze dried vegetables
    and meats has been a much better approach for our family. The new technology available
    has even made it possible for beans to be "instant" cook! That being said, here are 7 of my
    favorite quart size jar recipes that are easily used for everyday or for long term
    emergency food storage.
    Enjoy. Share with your friend. PLEASE...make sure my name
    stays with the recipes. I'm including 12 of my favorites.

All are made in a quart size jar unless indicated. Thanks.
    Meal 1:
    This is a great meal made completely out of food storage. It's amazing for camping or
    dinner any night of the week. It's perfect for giving to a sick neighbor or to someone you
    actually...like. I think my family likes it because the folks I cook for are down-homeraised-
    on-the-farm kind of people. They don't like a lot of green herbs and junk in their
    food (ironic isn't it?). Now and then I get "froofie" chef on them and roast some garlic or
    chop some tarragon, but for the most part it's "regular people" food. As for this meal, the
    crazy cool part is that it fits in a convenient size quart jar for easy food storage space and
    planning!
    Chef Tess Country Style Hamburger Stew
    yield 12 one cup servings
    in a quart jar:
    1 cup THRIVE instant red beans
    1 cup Honeyville freeze dried mixed vegetables
    1 cup Honeyville freeze dried hamburger (or TVP beef)
    1 Cup Honeyville dehydrated diced potatoes
    ¼ cup Honeyville dehydrated onions
    Seasonings I shake down into the jar: ½ cup tomato powder,
    1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp garlic, ¼ cup flour, and 1 T beef bullion.
    It will fit if you shake it really well.
    To prepare Country Style Hamburger Stew:
    In a gallon pot, combine stew mix with 6 cups water and bring to a boil.
    Reduce heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Works great in a solar oven. Bake one hour.
    Meal 2:
    This is a recipe I made from an old classic for Taco soup. It's adapted using instant beans.
    Instead of taking hours to cook in a crock pot, it takes just about 20 minutes! I'm super
    excited about it! Can you tell?! It can fit conveniently in a quart size jar so it's perfect for
    food storage! Put a funnel on the mouth of a quart jar and measure as follows into the
    jar:
    Chef Tess Taco Soup Mix
    2 cups THRIVE instant Red Beans
    1 cup Taco TVP
    1/2 cup Dehydrated Onion
    1/3 cup Freeze Dried Mixed Peppers
    3/4 cup Freeze Dried Corn
    1/2 cup Tomato Powder
    1T homemade taco seasoning
    When you get to the tomato powder, just shake the jar so it works its way into the
    cracks.Add an oxygen packet. Seal. Good on the shelf in a cool place up to 5-7 years.
    To prepare,Taco Soup: place contents of jar in a gallon pot in a solar oven or on the stove.
    Add 2 quarts of water and simmer 20-30 minutes until veggies are tender. Serve with
    nacho chips, sour cream and salsa if desired.
    Meal 3:
    Tess' Double Cheeseburger Hamburger Skillet meal mix

yield: 10, 1 oz sauce mixes
    2 1/2 cups Honeyville cheese sauce powder, 1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic, 1T granulated
    onion, 2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg Bag Mix Directions:Combine all
    ingredients well. Use 1 oz (1/4 cup mix) to 3 oz of macaroni noodles (about 2 cups). I put
    the dry powder with the noodles in quart size storage bags with the label "cheeseburger
    helper".Conventional Bag Mix preparation Directions: Brown one pound of hamburger in
    a large skillet. When hamburger is browned, I add 1 cup hot water and 1 1/2 cup milk or
    soy milk. Bring to a boil and cover. Simmer 8-10 minutes until noodles are tender. Sauce
    will thicken a little more as it cools.
    In a quart jar: 2 cups elbow macaroni (7 oz) ¼ cup mix
    (in a separate baggie in the jar)1 ½ cups freeze dried hamburger or Beef TVP
    Jar directions to prepare Cheeseburger Skillet Meal: Rehydrate meat with 1 ½ cups hot
    water, drain. Place in hot skillet. When hamburger is browned, I add 1 cup hot water and
    1 1/2 cup milk or soy milk. Bring to a boil and cover. Simmer 8-10 minutes until noodles
    are tender. Sauce will thicken a little more as it cools.
    Meal 4:
    Chef Tess' Stroganoff Skillet Meal Gravy Mix
    yield 7 mixes (with 1/3 cup gravy/seasoning mix)
    1/2 cup powdered buttermilk
    ½ cup powdered sour cream
    1 cup flour
    1/2 cup dry minced onions
    1T onion powder 1 T granulated garlic (or garlic powder) 1T dry parsley 1 tsp dry thyme 2 tsp
    black pepper 2T salt 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
    Combine all dry ingredients well.
    In a quart Jar
    2 cups egg noodles
    1/3 cup gravy mix
    1/2 cup freeze dried mushrooms
    In a separate bag in the jar,
    1 ½ cup freeze dried hamburger or beef TVP
    To prepare Beef Stroganoff Skillet Meal:
    1 cup water
    2 cups milk (powdered is okay if you reconstitute it)
    salt and pepper to taste
    Directions to Prepare Hamburger Stroganoff :In a bowl Rehydrate hamburger in 1 ½ cup hot
    water. Drain. Place in a skillet. Cook over high, and add gravy mix, noodles, water and milk.
    Simmer 8-10 minutes, stirring once or twice, but covering each time. When noodles are tender
    season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
    Meal 5:
    Chef Tess' Cheese Turkey Noodle Casserole
    In a quart jar place 2 cups radiator noodles.
    In a separate bag in the top of the jar put:
    ¼ cup freeze dried broccoli
    ½ cup freeze dried mixed vegetable mix
    1 cup THRIVE freeze dried turkey
    ½ cup Honeyville cheese sauce powder
    ¼ cup freeze dried diced celery
    1T freeze dried onion and 1 ½ tsp Chef Tess All Purpose seasoning
    Put an oxygen packet in jar and seal.
    Directions for Turkey Noodle Casserole: Carefully remove bag. Put contents of bag in a 2 quart
    sauce pan and bring to a boil. Boil 5 minutes. Cover and turn off heat. While sauce is cooking
    bring a gallon of water to a boil, cook pasta 10-12 minutes. When tender, drain. Stir into sauce
    mixture. Pour into casserole dish and top with additional cheese if desired.
    Meal 6:
    Chef Tess Broccoli Cheese and Rice Casserole in a Jar
    In a Quart Jar fitted with a funnel:
    2 cups long grain rice, ¼ cup dehydrated butter, 1 tsp salt (stir)
    In a separate bag on top of rice:
    ¼ cup freeze dried celery
    ¼ cup freeze dried onion
    1 cup freeze dried broccoli
    1 tsp Chef Tess All Purpose Seasonings
    ½ cup Honeyville Cheese Sauce Powder
    ¼ cup dehydrated butter powder
    Seal bag. Top with an oxygen absorber packet. Good for 10—12 years shelf life.
    To prepare Broccoli Cheese and Rice Casserole:
    Remove oxygen packet and discard. Open bag, carefully ease contents into a quart sauce
    pan and add 2 cups water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer 5-6 minutes. Turn off
    heat and let sit 5-6 minutes. While sauce is cooking, place rice in a quart size pot with a
    tight fitting lid. Add 4 cups boiling water or chicken stock. Cook on lowest heat 17-20
    minutes covered until rice is tender. Spoon broccoli cheese sauce over rice and enjoy.
    Meal 7:
    Chef Tess Turkey Noodle Skillet Meal in a Jar
    In a quart Jar fit with a funnel:
    2 cups egg noodles
    ½ cup Honeyville freeze dried vegetable mix
    1/3 cup cheese sauce powder
    1/3 cup powdered milk
    ¼ cup dehydrated butter
    1 cup freeze dried Turkey chunks
    ½ cup freeze dried mushroom slices
    1 T dehydrated onions
    1 tsp Chef Tess Romantic Italian Seasonings
    To Prepare Turkey Noodle Skillet Meal:
    In a large skillet, combine contents of jar with 3 ½ cups hot water over high heat and
    bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10-12 minutes stir every few minutes. Turn off
    heat and let sit 3-5 minutes.

Meal 8:
    Saucy “Baked” Ziti with Sausage and Mushrooms

2/3 cup tomato powder
    1/3 cup dehydrated onion
    1T Chef Tess Italian Seasoning
    1/3 cup freeze dried sausage or sausage TVP
    2/3 cup Freeze dried Hamburger or beef TVP
    1 cup Ziti (3 ounces)
    1/3 cup freeze dried mushrooms
    2/3 cup freeze dried Mozzarella cheese (in a snack baggie)

Directions: Place contents of jar (except for cheese) in a covered skillet or pot with 4 ½ cups water. Simmer 15-20 minutes until pasta is tender and sauce is thick. (Solar oven 30-40 minutes covered). Place contents of cheese bag in a bowl and spray lightly with water. Sit for 5 minutes. Uncover cooked pasta mixture. Top with cheese. Cover again and allow cheese to melt, about 5 minutes.

Meal 9:
    Beefy Spanish Rice

1 ½ cup freeze dried hamburger
    1 ½ cup long grain rice
    ½ cup Honeyville freeze dried bell pepper trio
    ½ cup dehydrated onion
    1 ½ tsp Chef Tess All Purpose seasoning, 1 tsp dehydrated minced garlic
    1 T dehydrated minced ancho chilies
    1 ½ tsp salt
    ½ tsp smoked paprika
    ¼ cup tomato powder
    1 bay leaf

Directions: Add contents of jar to 5 ½ cups boiling water. Cover and simmer low 25-30 minutes until tender. Top with cheese or sour cream if desired.

Meal 10:
    Bean and Rice Fajita Casserole

2 cups instant red or black beans
    1 cup long grain rice
    ½ cup Honeyville bell pepper trio
    ½ cup honeyville dehydrated onion
    1T Chef Tess All Purpose Seasoning blend
    ½ tsp cumin seed
    ½ tsp oregano leaves (or 1 drop oil of oregano)
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 bay leaf
    ½ cup Honeyville cheese sauce powder
    ¼ cup powdered tomato

Place contents of jar in a deep covered casserole and add 6 cups of very hot water. Place covered in a solar oven or conventional oven 30-35 minutes.

Meal 11:
    Golden Potato, cheese and Sausage Casserole

1 cup cheese sauce mix
    ½ cup dehydrated sour cream
    1/3 cup dehydrated onion, 1 ½ tsp dehydrated minced garlic
    1 cup freeze dried sausage (or ham)
    2 cups (4 ounces) dehydrated hash brown potatoes
    1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
    ½ tsp cracked fresh pepper
    1 bay leaf

Combine contents in a deep casserole with 5 ½ cups hot water. Cover 10 minutes. Bake in solar oven 1 hour covered or in the microwave 15 minutes uncovered. May top with additional cheese, crushed corn flakes or crushed crackers if desired.

Meal 12:
    Creamy Chicken Veggie Casserole

In a quart Jar fit with a funnel:
    1 3/4 *cups wide egg noodles
    ½ cup Honeyville freeze dried vegetable mix
    1 cup freeze dried chicken chunks
    1/2 cup freeze dried peas
    1/4 cup freeze dried mushroom slices
    2 T dehydrated onions

1 tsp of my*Romantic Italian Seasoning*
    1/2 cup Honeyville *cheese sauce powder OR my homemade*condensed soup mix**
    1/3 cup powdered milk
    1/3 cup powdered sour cream
    ¼ cup dehydrated butter

For long term 8-10 year storage, combine all ingredients in a sealed mason jar with an oxygen absorber packet. *These will cause a vacuum seal. *Note...it is important if you are doing these jars to open the freeze dried meat and bottle it again within a few hours. If you're worried about it or want a vegetarian alternative, you may use 1 1/2 cup Freeze Dried Zucchini instead of the chicken. You'll need to add 1 tsp no msg chicken bullion to the mix as well.
    To Prepare:
    In a casserole, combine the entire contents of the jar with 4 cups hot water. Let sit 5 minutes. *Cover and bake in a solar oven at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. OR microwave in covered deep dish casserole for 15 minutes. *
    Bread crumb topping: Bonus

While the casserole is baking, I make bread crumb topping.*This is optional*but adds a lot of texture and flavor. I prefer, when cooking with the solar oven to do the topping on a separate burner or if microwaving...cooking the topping on the stove to crisp it. This saves a lot of time and with the solar cooker, gets a crispy topping I can't normally get. * I'm using *homemade*9 grain ciabatta*. *Put a few pieces in a food processor or finely grind in a hand-powered *processor. Add 2 T olive oil 1/2 cup of *the crumbs and 1/2 tsp of my*Romantic Italian Seasoning.*

Put the crumbs in a hot skillet and stir until toasted. How easy is that?! Were you expecting rocket science?!

Please include my contact information when sharing these recipes:
    Stephanie@cheftessbakeresse.com
    http://cheftessbakeresse.com
    cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com
    Cheftessbakeresse on Facebook and ChefTess on Twitter.
    Professional Chef and Instructor: http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChefTessBakeresse For This Useful Post:

AZ Prepper (07-15-2011), fuzzy (07-18-2011), mommy magic (07-05-2012)

+ Reply to Thread